Tuesday, February 14, 2012

won't you be mine

oddnumberedlife.blogspot.com wants to know about your favorite first date. Although the author has a few hang ups with this commercialized holiday, she's still rolicking in a little sentimentality. She'll get this party started.

My favorite first date was with the man I would not too long after marry. We met, incidentally of course, almost fated and he called me right away, which I loved. It was a Thursday in July, he pulled up to my shitty apartment complex in New Brighton in a Gold Expedition. I watched him walking towards the door and was googley eyed by his forearms. He was wearing a soft navy button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up, all tan and meaty.

We went to the Olive Garden in Roseville and ate dinner. I ordered crab stuffed ravioli and boldly asked him if he would be insulted if I ate all of it. I would later find out that statement clenched the deal. We went to the Como Park Conservatory after dinner where some sort of wedding or reception was happening. We wandered the grounds and made out passionately, probably not far enough away from this group event to remain incognito. We went to see Fahrenheit 911, my idea, later which I would find out he's rather conservative and HATED this movie ;)

He brought me home, we made out by the door and I went to bed dreaming about those forearms. Sigh.

Your turn...


2 comments:

  1. My favorite first date also happened with my lovely and talented wife, Shannon. I was quite young and of little means to be extravagant. While monetarily lacking, I was creatively rich. In advance of picking her up, I drove to the soon to be visited retaurant in my Ford Ecort which had damaged body panels replaced wth panels of three different colors ( affectionately we both called my whip, "Tri-Tone".) At the restaurant I worked out a deal with the manager and waiters that will be divulged later.

    Upon picking up my date in my "Kitchens of Distinction" t-shirt(early 90's synth pop band) and her in her "Express" ensemble, we could not have looked any more different. I couldn't stop looking at her as I drove ....nay....floated to the restaurant. Once at this small Italian location, the waiter directed us to the vacant table well away from any other patron. You see I had asked to be in a separate area to build an air of exclusivity. Now the waiter came forth and placed 2 candles on the table and very theatricaly lit the candles, bowed, and backed away from the table. I'm smiling now thinking of the incredible act this guy put on the whole night. I had provided the candles and holders in my earlier visit. they were cheapos but the illusion was magnificent. The waiter then came forward and informed my date that I had taken the liberty of choosing from the wine list ahead of time and he poured two wine glasses from a carafe...towel draped across his arm. Mind you, we were both under age so the exquisite wine was actually Sprite. I thought it added a touch of class....lol.

    My date at this point jokingly informed me that if I was going to stand up on the chair and start serenading her, she was going to leave, but the twinkle in her eye told me that she would stay and enjoy it. Not wanting to break the glasses holding our "wine", I chose not to sing and instead spent the next hour engaging in that awkward somewhat nervous chatter present on every first date.

    We eventually went to the movies to see the latest flick by my favorite actor at the time, Robin Williams. His previous film had been Dead Poet's Society and its message of striking a new path and seizing the day had become my motto. Unfortunately this movie was " Toys". It turned out to be the biggest turd of a movie and we were both greatly disappointed, although the side benefit was that we just sat in the back and made out the whole movie. Ahhh....the days of youthful lust and inexperienced fumblings in the darkened last row of a theater. I was euphoric....I could not care less that LL Cool J was marching around as a quasi commander of militaristic toys. I was making out with a chick!

    As the evening drew to a close, I walked Shannon to her door. She had warned me in advance that I shouldn't kiss her as her two younger sisters and mother would likely be spying through clenched curtains. I gave her a big bear hug and lifted her off the ground. It was then that the unmistakable sound of flatuence emitted from my beautiful, preppy date. She was mortified and exclaiming that I should leave quickly....that she had been holding this thunderous emission for hours.....that she was so embarassed. Seeing that tiny chink in her Express armor was gratifying to me in my anti-establishment garb. With both of us laughing hysterically I bid her farewell knowing that this was going to be the one that I was going to marry one day. Who would have guessed?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback!