Friday, February 3, 2012

hearing...

Sometimes I get to thinking there's as much power in hearing as there is in listening. But then again...As you may have gathered by now (or not) I go places alone a lot. I feel no need to make plans in advance or enlist entourage. There are however, 'consequences' in these endeavors. For example, at least 3 out of 5 of my lone ventures result in the following. I end up near a talker, or rather that's an assumption, they may not even be a talker, but rather someone who has nobody to talk to. Regardless, they talk.

Stories long since passed, in tones with an ego screaming for validation. I listen, nod, engage, ask questions and react, but it keeps going. I was writing, I was mid-thought! The motion back to pen and paper doesn't deter these ear mongerers. But! When I think about times I've let my own ego roll out its own red carpet and exploited some other listeners ear, only to wake up feeling cleansed and confident, I'll drop my pen and latch up my moleskin.

Being heard is truly a gift. I have ears and you know what, sometimes, there's a morsel of something pertinent that lies somewhere between the ego and my ear which gets caught. Suspended in air, hanging, waiting for its outlines to be filled in with color. Just as its' receptivity colors the blank spot of the ego.

There are so many in the world neglected as individuals, and as I'm reading this for typos, the thought of the truly close people in my life crops up. And how much easier it is to listen to a stranger for an hour and how easy it is to drift off from an everyday story from someone I love. And these crimes are an accomplice to so many loves. So much so a reflection of our own talents; screaming in our faces, but as we listen in a way to suggest the ego is bigger than the talent. It couldn't possibly be true. But in these aggrandizements the dream is born.

A nose is never average in size in a dream. It's oversized, undersized, mis-shapen, sharp, etc. with reason! Like Kirk, the ex-cop, our dreams and talents take time to find versus falter. Why do we need to fault them from the get-go? Let 'em speak and stumble, aggrandize and evolve until that space between emerges for the colored; truth; exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!