Monday, July 30, 2012

my first obe

I fell asleep under normal circumstances, no drugs or alcohol in my system. It was a weekday, a Tuesday I believe. I 'awoke' to the loudest most atrocious buzzing sound in my ears. It sounded as though my head was actually stuck inside of a church bell at the top of a tower. My entire body was buzzing and vibrating in a way I can never fully describe. I could hear all these voices talking about things I should do with my life now that I was being 'awoken.' "She could finish learning Spanish." "She could go back to school." So on and so on.

Image from here
I was terrified and 'woke up,' but I was still in an altered state and elevated above my body. There I was staring at myself in bed. In one corner was another me, dressed in a white gown. In the room, there was a total of 3. Me as I knew myself to be, me as my body in bed and me as a "ghost" dressed in a white gown in the corner.

I didn't know what was happening, but I elevated with the utmost ease and exited my room through the window. No joke, it was exactly like the scene in Ghost where Patrick Swayze goes through the door and you see all the fibers of the door. I could see everything about the shades and the window that I went through and they can only be described as feeling thick. I hurled myself into the air and started to fly and quickly began descending. I panicked, but instinctively thought of water and the ground below morphed into a magical teal colored sea filled with beautiful creatures.

The 'ghost me' was apparently there as some sort of guide. She applauded my instincts and said "nobody can ever fly the first time, don't worry." She said let's try again. We flew around for awhile and I kept plummeting quickly to the ground. It was the most amazing, frustrating and freeing experience.

The dream turned lucid from there and I finally woke up, for real, wide eyed, terrified, stunned and everything else. I was afraid to go back to sleep...

I turned immediately to Google and the bookstore the next day to try to understand what the hell had happened to me. I was very naive at the time and had no hesitations about telling people this experience. I honestly didn't realize that it sounded crazy and/or made up to the general public. I told my older brother about it who said, and I quote, "If you didn't sound so convincing, I'd tell you that you're full of shit."

I spent an enormous amount of time that year taking naps and invoking this rarity with ample success. I got used to the buzzing vibrations and the accompanying sounds. It's more of a dull roar now and it tickles the base of your spine. I discovered new and interesting ways to induce these experiences when I felt them coming on and found out all kinds of ways that bring you immediately back to your body. For example, a single thought about your actual physical body reels you right back in.

Although these experiences have dwindled some, I still will never forget that first time. I don't take it as seriously as I used to. It's more of an escape from having to deal with physical limitations. It's amazing to be able to fly and do flips in the air or swing from tree to tree. It's also a great way to obtain guidance on life and to understand what's going on in your subconscious. A lot of times these experiences turn into lucid dreams and when I wake up, I know what's going on in my head because I created it in the dream.

So, that's what I know about out of body experiences. They are mysterious, amazing, confusing and everything in between. I'm wondering if anyone else has had one and/or a similar oddity they'd be willing to share. Anonymity, as always, is welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!