Sunday, March 25, 2012

ROXanne, you don't have to put on the red light

It's interesting how references to prostitution in music have changed over the years. Songs such as "Roxanne" or Bob Dylan's "How Does it Feel" had a more emotional tone, since replaced with Snoop Dogg and Warren G (amongst others, I'm a little out of that loops since the 90's.) I realize I'm missing the central fission between these extremes, but the core is better determined as such.

'Roxanne, you don't have to wear that dress tonight!' over 'We don't love these hoes' or 'pass it to the homey, now you hit it.' It says much, no?!

I wonder how much this business has changed over the years. Is it more dangerous and kinky or are we more aware that it's happening? Have fetishes really evolved or were they so far hidden they weren't common reference to the straight laced? I don't know what brings this topic to mind. I guess it's the reference of love and money, sex as business and how it relates to psychology.

The business itself is sort of fascinating. I grew up in Coon Rapids and Ham Lake, MN, so what do I know about this? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. That's why it's so interesting as are the customers. What is it they're after? Is it that moment in time where desire takes over all sense of reason and reality fades away? Kind of like a one night stand, but a lot of times those come with complications. A prostitute you send away right after. The ultimate reveal, but to a stranger who goes away. No chance for intimacy.

No idea, but I wonder. For reasons of being inside the mindset of how it all began and why. As well, is nothing sacred and everything has a price tag...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!