Wednesday, January 18, 2012

i like my mushrooms like i like a libra...

A mushroom takes on the flavor of whatever it's cooked with and yet it also shrinks in size as it absorbs the juices around it. Yet a mushroom has a rather faint flavor all its own but like Venus, so interesting to look at.

I realize I write about food and astrology a lot. I find they have a lot in common, no really I just never have a plan for writing, I just usually follow the jet stream with whatever I'm doing. If you're still reading, never fear, my posts will get more humorous and lively as I sink into this internet writing thing...

So, as I was cooking mushrooms into a garlic, mushroom, onion, greek yogurt sauce to smother spinach with, I couldn't help but think about Libra's. Like mushrooms, Libra's tend to be gentle in their flavor and mix well when they sponge and mingle with what's around them. Like their fungi friend they do shrink in size with all this absorbing, but not in a fraudulent way, more or less the ego evaporates as they mix with the other whole. 

But there's a conundrum to this Libran complex. 


As a Libra Rising, I know a little bit about this. I'll spend years trying to make a really important decision. Yes, that is the stereotype, but it's actually true. But I'll also contradict you if you're too vehement and unwilling to consider an opposite spectrum. It's quite the balancing act. I've known many with strong Libra planets who would argue a cause just because it makes them more comfortable. Like the scales suggest, might it tip over if there's only one to represent?

I don't like cooking slowly, but for some reason I let those mushrooms sink deep into the pan and become as flavorful as possible. Much like the mushroom, Libra's take time to show reveal their piquancy. You might talk to them for an hour before they begin to take on a real shine. The beauty in this cordial nature is the gathering of experience, almost as though they get to live inside another personality for a time. Where its troublesome is when they can't speak their truth because they don't know what it is.

I'm not getting where I want to with this post, in fact, I'm not sure I have a destination. Bear with me, I'm going to prattle on for a spell longer. Join me if you wish.

My mushrooms are still simmering and I recall many of the tiny seemingly inconsequential things I do with my Libra rising. For example, when I drive, I keep a close watch on what's happening around me. I leave extra space in case that merging person needs to get over quick in rush hour to hit the immediate exit. Watching for bikers is a sport because the thought of injuring someone is mortifying. Or when I'm working, I'll drop everything to assist a colleague because 'No' seems unbalanced without 'Yes.' And sometimes I'll forego my own comfort just to keep the peace.

Sounds awful, yes? Well, it can be, especially if you want something or if you or someone else are being treated unfairly. In this case a true Libra is your champion. In the Libran mind there lives a certain Eutopia, and many are willing to bend as far as possible to obtain it (that's will, yes it is) but at its most obnoxious it's more or less fraught with symptoms of the princess and the pea. A constant shifting around something that doesn't feel quite right and trying to adjust to help it feel right.
Yes, that is leopard print silverware.
People like to give me leopard print stuff...

Lucky for me I have other more assertive and willful planets at my disposal. I'm going to eat my mushrooms now and just leave you with this. This post isn't really about the stereotypical Libra, it's presented terribly, but is about learning through metaphors. Pondering something for a awhile and feeling the way in which it applies and if that means something to you or not. It's the same approach I take to astrology, it's not truth, it's but a means to see certain parts of ourselves from the outside. A mushroom doesn't seem to care what seasonings are doused upon it; it has a function, just like every aspect of our personalities.

And that's all I have to ramble on about right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!