Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August 28, 1963

Image from here
I was thinking about how Martin Luther King gave his "I have a Dream" speech on August 28, 1963 and now 49 years later the moon is in Aquarius where it was when MLK was born. The Sun is in Leo and the Jack of Hearts rules the day. Whether or not that means anything at all I have no idea. But it somehow struck a chord for me. I too was born under the Aqua moon influence.

We all know what he did and what he stood for and he forever represents the enormous impact that one single individual can have on the benefit of the greater whole (Leo/Aqua axis.) He reached in and pulled on the very vein that keeps humanity connected. We all have dreams and aspirations and we all need and deserve the right and the opportunity to reach the highest potential we strive for. Without that, as humans, we are nothing. The met needs of the individual contribute to the good of our culture, relationships and strengthen our communities.

This is all common knowledge to us now, or maybe it is? I'm not sure. I know I prattle through days where I revert back to being a teenager and think the damn sun revolves around me and I need my mirror shattered into tiny splinters to realize that it really doesn't. (intentional run on sentence for extra drama) There's something calming in the shatter though, it takes the pressure off and doing something for somebody else always takes my mind off my ego's ridiculous troubles.

I've also spent time with people who seem not to give a damn about the whole or humanity in general. They aren't being harmful to others, but they are stuck by the needs of surviving every day life and I have to wonder how that can be? Many of us are doing just fine but still strive to reach material heights while there are so many suffering from true survival needs. What does that even say about us? What is this life even about? If one man can have this kind of impact what could we do if we all lived like that? Or is it really up to the 'sore thumbs' to stick out and take care of business for the rest of us. Because their wounded and their regenerative powers have made them courageous. I don't know.

And now this brief rambling will come to an abrupt end...


2 comments:

  1. A friend asked me, during a party celebrating the hip-hop music of the 80's and 90's, if Ice Cube had sold out or had been for himself and personal gain the entire time.

    This struck a chord with me, and upon reading your diatribe, has made me think about other people who have gained prominence through their words. Does everyone have a price?

    What is the reason anyone would put themselves out there as a figure-head for a movement or and ideal? Are we all susceptible to Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs?

    I think people, in general, do what motivates them for personal need, not gain, need. Whether or not it's a conscious motivator or not is irrelevant. Sometimes this need coincides with a particular movement (a collection of needs that are similar within a group) and can help propel that group into other groups that are sympathetic in needs.

    Most of this behavior is driven from unconscious needs. It doesn't make it any less relevant. But it does beg the question; did Ice Cube sell out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Ice Cube needed to sell out in order to fulfill some unconscious need to be out of the limelight. Just a thought.

      Yes, we are ALL susceptible to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs and mostly driven by those below the iceberg.

      What propels people to drive a movement or ideal is vision, in my opinion. The need is for the world or the situation to live up to the idealized version in one's mind. I do think altruism exists, but of course there is personal gain in altruism. But isn't it altruistic to put yourself knowingly at the ridicule of others in effort to protect an idea or an ideal? It is still selfish in a way because it's your ideal, but it might stem from seeing those close to you suffering or being treated unfairly.

      In short, yes, Ice Cube sold out.

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback!