Monday, June 11, 2012

multiples with scruples

I had a rare conversation with someone yesterday. An older gentleman with a roaring sense of humor. There was a light buzz all around him and a keen energetic eye that definitely caught my affection.  Although I don't know this gentleman, he reminded me about a lot of 'stuff.'

He was describing with authority his 5 personalities and his new 6th personality which would lead him back to the real him. He said as the middle child he developed personality number 2 as a mechanism to stand out. What did that mean?

Be funny.
Tell stories.
Exaggerate.

Props for the pic
Now out of his more formative years he's testing out his quiet, serious (real) self on a new set of neighbors. Things were going really well until he invited them to a party where his old friends would be attending and know and treat him as personality 2. Funny, story telling guy.

Well, his wife asked him why he would do such a thing if he wanted to continue this new thread. He said he had no idea. Now they'd be rousing him from his quietude and hassling him about his exaggerated stories, thus blowing his 'cover.'

While the content of his story was fascinating and was told with an air of affluence that hinted that he was kidding, I still got that sense that he really wasn't. Kidding, that is. Afterwards, I debriefed with a friend who knows him far better than I who tried to convince me that he was teasing. "He's a born salesman!" he said. But still, I'm not buying it. I know what I heard behind the face that told it, or maybe I do...

Fine.

Well, what I do know, I can say from experience. I am NOT a middle child, but I did develop a certain personality to get me through the less versatile parts of life. At heart I am extremely serious about this whole life business. If you can't tell by my blog it's ALWAYS on my mind. What am I doing here, how am I growing, am I contributing to life in meaningful ways. Not to say that these things aren't fun, because they are! But on the same tack it's extremely important to me to feel that life has meaning, even if it's just by way of attributing meaning to it, whether it's "real" or "imagined."

Still there's always the wonder and there's usually the folk who prefer the funny, dramatic persona from me. I give it away because it shines back and my ego will gladly bask in it. But it lacks that real sense of depth you get from friends who know the darker shadowy self that wonders and notices the slightest measures of 'coincidence' and 'reflection' of life.

To complicate things further, the funny drama queen. She is real. And is an integral part of self, but somehow these two don't always get a long. She's always making light of the serious stories I'm telling or validating herself by others reactions to them.

Whatever.

I guess I know nothing other than they operate on such different planes it seems impossible to neutralize their discrepancies. And this older gentleman, maybe he's really onto something by testing it out on new people to be able to more 'organically' reveal his other side.

And that's all I have to say right now. I'm all ears...

4 comments:

  1. Both of those creatures are you. I can get really gloomy and introspective, but when I'm feeling good I can turn into Foghorn Leghorn and strut about confidently spewing absolute nonsense just for the showbiz of it all. We don't have to feel like the same person all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback!!

      While I agree with the sentiment 100%, I still find it easy to fall prey to falling back on typecasting oneself in certain situations instead of creating new and more authentic ways of relating. That being said, yes, sometimes I am funny as hell and relish the fact :)

      Delete
  2. There's a lot in this one. I'm with Jim, different moods and circumstances lead to different "personalities". People have facets right? still the same gem. But... I think I hear a bit of "yes but" with the idea that maybe you put on this facet to hide the others, or to protect a you that's more true, or because it's comfortable in that situation. Are there drawbacks to them? Lack of connection maybe?

    That's an interesting space isn't it?

    I'm all about the introspection. The unexamined life etc... I can't imagine dissuading anyone from it. And now for the but, For myself I've been thinking a lot about being in the moment more, and just what the fuck that means. And then trying to do it. And not analyze it so much. It's freeing. And it's challenging. And I'm in the middle of it, so I don't know where it's going.

    Well, that lead to a big forest of no particular direction, didn't it?

    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'm all about the introspection. The unexamined life etc... I can't imagine dissuading anyone from it. And now for the but, For myself I've been thinking a lot about being in the moment more, and just what the fuck that means. And then trying to do it. And not analyze it so much. It's freeing. And it's challenging. And I'm in the middle of it, so I don't know where it's going."

    I couldn't agree more. I find the biggest problem with me is easily explained through astrology, a lot of Libra and a Stellium in the 12th (I realize that's another language.) Allow me to explain. I adapt to others naturally and have gained a lot of different experiences and personality traits as a result and I'm a sponge. I absorb my surroundings until I don't know what's mine and what belongs to someone else. In a sense, when I'm with others, I'm perpetually present! Which then requires much alone time to ponder experiences and figure out what the hell is going on.

    Lack of connection is a scary topic in my opinion. It takes the meaning right out of everything for me and yet I know the closest connection we can ever have is with ourselves.

    AC and JF, your comments are most insightful and appreciated. Just knowing others exist in the world think about things introspectively makes life seem easier...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback!